So I got back from my college trip to IWU!
THE PROS OF ILLINOIS WESLEYAN:
- There’s a scholarship specifically for musicians not majoring in music, which, as someone who wants to minor in music, is a very nice thing to hear.
- The 4-4-1 calendar sounds pretty flexible and interesting.
- The campus feels very relaxed and spread out. It’s calming, and I think it would be good for my stress issues.
- All-gender inclusive bathrooms. A good inclusion!
- Dorms seem nice and there are several living options.
- A lot of the English major courses sound pretty fun (like “Exit, Pursued By A Bear”).
- Stylish athletic facility and plenty of exercise machines.
- No application fee.
THE CONS (which are mostly subjective, really):
- There is literally nothing around outside of the college town besides Illinois State and State Farm headquarters. It’s caged in by farm fields and windmills. I much prefer an urban setting.
- Feels just a bit too small and caged-off from hustle and bustle.
- The athletics are only Division III, so no fun sparring with big schools like Purdue or Michigan.
- No Lou Malnati’s.
- No majors offered for several of my interests (game design, animation, etc.)
All in all, though, I think IWU seems like a really good school! It’ll definitely be on my radar in the coming months.